At times you are hit with an unexpected power cut that comes out of the blues. However, that should never worry you because Safaricom and KPLC have partnered to come up with a way in which you can pay your electricity bill using Bonga points.
About the service
This service is part of Safaricom’s Bonga Everywhere Service. It lets you pay your bills at Lipa na Mpesa merchants with Bonga points. The conversion rate is 1 Bonga point for 20 cents.
If you have 5,000 Bonga Points you can buy tokens worth 1,000. This gives you roughly 60-65 token units.
To check the number of Bonga points that you need to purchase the tokens, simply key in and dial *126# then select “Lipa na Bonga” then select “Bonga Calculator”.
Customers paying for electricity using Bonga Points are subject to the applicable electricity tariff as stipulated by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority.
Pay for Your Electricity Bill Using your Points
- Dial *126# and select “Lipa na Bonga Points”.
- Select Paybill.
- Enter the Kenya Power business number. It can either be 888880 for pre-paid and 888888 for post-paid.
- Enter your meter or account number.
- Key in the amount you want to pay.
- Confirm the details of your payment and key in the service PIN to finish the transaction.
- You will receive a message containing the token units shortly.
Moreover, you can pay for someone else’s electricity bill using this service.
Kenya Power owns and operates most of the electricity distribution and transmission system in Kenya. Additionally, the company’s customer base stands at over 7.5 million as at the end of June 2020. This service provides relief to households hit by unexpected power bills or when you can’t access the service using Mpesa.