Safaricom , PayPal and TransferTo have recently announced a collaboration on a new service that allows movement of funds between M-PESA and PayPal accounts.
This is something many of us have been waiting for. Personally, it has enabled me to conveniently pay for goods from China, Dubai or the USA for my small business.
Below is a Step by step procedure on how to link your M-pesa to Paypal account.
How to link your M-Pesa to Paypal
So first things first, first you need a Paypal account, which you will need to Create incase you don’t have one. You can do this for free by simply visiting www.paypal.com .
The second thing you need is of course your M-pesa account.
- Go to PayPal’s Mobile Money portal on https://www.paypal-mobilemoney.com/m-pesa
- Click Get Started.
- Log in to your PayPal account with your Primary Email address.
- Allow the service by TransferTo that links your M-Pesa to PayPal. At this point you will be prompted to give access to Paypal to among other things, display your balance and charge your account for future purchases.
- Enter your mobile number. This is the mobile number you are going to use to move your money between Paypal and M-pesa.
- Receive the 4 digit verification code that sent to your number and enter it to complete linking.
- You are ready to transact!
Something to take note
Something to note is that it is not possible to top up your Paypal account using a different mobile number other than the one you linked your account with. I tried this several times and it never worked.
Safaricom and Paypal on their part have a very valid reason for why that is not possible. It’s because many people confuse the Paypal top up Pay-bill number with Kenya Power Pay-bill number. This could be problematic in situations where many users make such errors with issues to do with refunds and so on.
Below is a complete step by step video on how to link your accounts and move your money between M-Pesa and Paypal.